We're cleaning out school supplies this morning. And I don't mean "cleaning out" as in "throwing away". I mean going through everything to see what can be used again this year. I just can't take a mostly unused notebook or a clean pocket-folder with sturdy corners and pitch them just because they're a year old. The thought of all those trees that gave their lives... I just can't recycle then until they're fully used, so I glean the unused paper out of them for loose leaf paper. The frugal woman in me actually washed off a marked-up, but otherwise unused big pink eraser and I fully intend for a child to use it this year. One year I even cleaned up water-color paint trays for additional use, but quickly realized it wasn't worth the effort. I even keep the handouts that the children bring home and use the black side for scrap paper. But, I draw the line at sending in pencil stubs and used markers. Though if I could see how much ink was left in the markers, I just might.
It's odd, I have a tray of uncooked chicken in the fridge that I have to throw out because I didn't cook it in time (and I don't want to risk it). I have no qualms about that, but school supplies with life in them give me agony.
I find interesting things while gleaning through the notebooks, though. In one of Emma's notebooks today I found this second entry for her "Poet Laureate of the Northwest Bedroom" status. It was a rough draft "about the author" paragraph for one of her 5th grade projects.
"Emma Dailey, a 10 year old girl who has a hard life due to her 13 year old sister Tara as well as her 9 year old lookalike sister Kay. She was born on June 17 2000 (is supposed to be born on June 17 1999). She has a family of 7 due to her grandpa and has bonded with her mother thoroughly and might make her mother go overbord sometimes and is known to be a machmaker. She is a vampier."
*chuckle*
Poor Emma and her hard life. Maybe I'll go overboard today.
Hee hee. I love it. Good thing you dug around and found a treasure!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is so sweet. I think school supplies are about the happiest thing around. If I could get away with it my kids would get them for Christmas every year. Hmmmm, I might be onto something!
ReplyDeleteJust think if you hadn't have gone through the gently used school supplies, you would have never found this gem. Love it!
ReplyDelete