At the end of June, it suddenly occurred to me that I could use my season pool pass to swim for exercise at our local pool while the children played around. I'd just spent two weeks watching my children taking swim lessons and admiring all the progress that they'd made. And, in my eyes, Tara looks incredible for all the time she spent swimming and fencing this summer. In a flash it occurred to me that if I want to approach her level of fitness, it would make sense to do what she does.
Lo and behold, swimming seems to really work for me. 1. I'm not hot and sweaty while I'm working out. (I entirely loath being hot and sweaty.) 2. It's completely low impact. No aching shins, just thoroughly aching muscles. 3. I miss it on days that I can't go. Really! That's a new one for me.
After two months of effort, I can see how much my endurance has increased, and I'm starting to see a difference in the fit of my shirts. That's the fastest I've seen results in anything. I also have goals for things I want to work on, stroke refinement, distance, and speed. I've bought a gym membership to replace the now seasonally closed local pool.
| Emma's beautiful butterfly stroke. Breathing is good. |
This was a summer of huge swimming improvements for the children as well. Tara finished all the Red Cross swimming levels and is a fantastic swimmer. Strong strokes, elegant, angelic choirs singing in the background. Seriously. lol. She's not interested in swim team, more's the pity, but she is VERY interested in lifeguarding. She'll take that training next summer.
Emma's now just as strong a swimmer as Tara and quite nearly as elegant She's not interested in swim team either, but she'll finish the Red Cross course two years earlier than Tara did.
Kay is neither strong nor elegant yet. But she is seriously determined and I love that! She struggles her way across the length of the pool and veers off course more often than not, but she makes it with cheerful energy. I'm so proud. She's the one who's interested in swim team, go figure, and she's an enthusiastic diver.
Ian finally grew his gills and scales this year. He has let go of his nose and can now struggle his way across the length of the pool and back two-handed. It's impressive. He didn't quite make it off the diving board this year (I get wigged out by the bounciness, too), but he completed the deep water swim test without a problem.
All in all, I'm quite pleased with the skills and the quality of character that the members of my little school of fish have demonstrated. We'll see if I can't begin to match them by the start of next summer.
I admire your dedication! I wish I liked swimming more. I could tell yesterday that you have been working out. You looked fantastic.
ReplyDelete