24 July 2011

The Season of Sickness

(This entry was supposed to have been posted in February during our annual season of sickness, but evidently I was too busy to finish and post it.)

Being right in the middle of this year's season of sickness, I've got to say that I'm seriously thankful for the differences between sick children and sick toddlers. 

Sick children, make it to the nearest officially designated receptacle before they vomit; it doesn't occur to sick toddlers that they should run anywhere but to mom.  I don't have to use nearly as much Zout stain remover as I have in previous Februarys.  The carpet outside our bedroom door, my side of the bed and my clothes stay much cleaner nowadays. 

Sick children can be reasoned with to stay in bed, allowing the rest of the household to function semi-normally.  Sick toddlers had to be held, which resulted in exponentially greater laundry loads of my clothes (see paragraph 2) and towels/blankets; and an increased quantity of household disasters due to lack of supervision for the rest of the family. 

An article recently came to my attention touting the benefits of letting children suffer through their low-grade fevers instead of artificially reducing it through meds.  Well, DUH!  Give me any parent with hyperactive children and we'll each give you half an hour on the benefits of letting children suffer through low-grade fevers.  A little bit of feeling awful, guarantees that they'll stay down long enough to let their immune systems work.  It also guarantees a more controlled "splash zone," so to speak (see paragraph 2). 

Sick children can help themselves...mostly.  While we're a far cry better than we were, this area still needs a bit of work.  At least for Daughter #2, whose February fever seemed to make her arms unable to function, but left her voice in fine working order.  She had an ice pack to make her more comfortable, and every time it slipped off her forehead, she whimpered for me to fix it.  Really.  Oh, and, she was too dizzy to get up and get herself food, but as I approached with said food (only once), was suddenly able to nip up and move the piano bench next to the sofa so she could use it to eat from while reclining.  Really. 

The other three-when they're sick, they're zonked.  No tears, no requests, and no drama.  Actually, it worries me a bit more when there's no drama.  Daughter #2's antics at least tell me she's going to be alright.  If you're well enough to milk the situation, you're in no danger of needing expert medical attention. 

Sick toddlers get their favorite television shows and games to help keep them down long enough to heal.  Sick children don't.  Part of how I know you're really sick is if you're ready to stay home all day without Pokémon, Sonic or The Kids Next Door. 

I'm not totally heartless, but this is my opportunity to introduce the children to things I think have cultural value.  This sick February, we've watched a PDQ Bach concert recording, Fawlty Towers, Calamity Jane, Kiss Me Kate, a series of award winning animated short films, and The Wiz.  I have a whole batch of new musicals in our Netflix queue for upcoming sick days and Spring Break.  MY mother made us suffer through Wagner's seemingly endless Ring cycle of operas for culture.  And while Gotterdammerung is super fun to say, it was torture to watch as a child.  My definition of 'cultural value' is much more inclusive.  To be fair, however, I must say that I wouldn't have my thorough appreciation for Bugs Bunny if I hadn't had to watch the Wagner. 

And finally.  Sick children can describe their symptoms!  I love being able to ask them questions and know whether or not to take them to the doctor and which over-the-counter meds to give them.  I can help them feel much better, much faster and their illnesses are not nearly as stressful as it was when crying meant everything.

1 comment:

  1. So true to all of the above on the abilities of our sick children vs. Toddlers. I have both in my home and it feels somewhat heartless also when one of the girls get sick and we say, "oh good, at least it isn't Kyce!" I am glad this took place in February and not this close to camp...;-)

    ReplyDelete