Summer Vacation 2009: part 2 (click on the pictures to enlarge)
So, we've established that the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, Wisconsin is definitely worth a visit. It's certainly a lot of fun.
.

This picture rather gives me an awful sense of forboding. Tara's 12 years old and watching my mother coach my brother through his driving lessons, gives me a taste of the trauma in store for me three years hence. The combination of attitude, linguistic ability and faulty logic circuits ought to make for splended driving lessons. I still remember the yelling at my father while he sat offering suggestions, well, it seemed like 'barking orders' at the time. I dished it out, it stands to reason I'll be on the receiving end as well. Mom's suprised that she hasn't chipped enamel from clenching her teeth while teaching bro. John to drive.
.
We spent the week at Hittles’ relaxing. John and I read as fast as our eyes would let us. Grammy keeps a huge library of all my favorite mystery writers. I enjoyed a thoroughly entertaining and lengthy visit in the company of Nero Wolf and his confidential assistant Archie Goodwin. John settled into Thomas Covenant’s world (Stephen R. Donaldson) and barely resurfaced in time to come home.
.

Tara borrowed a rather adorable tunic and leggings from her grandmother to wear to Church. This must be the first time in many generations within our family that the grandmother was trendy and petite enough to have clothing of interest to her grandchild. Both Mom and I readily agreed that we wouldn't have been caught dead in anything from our grandmothers' closets.
.

The trouble with growing up is that nothing stays the same when you go back to visit. I discovered that when I tried to drive through downtown Chicago from memory, during rush hour and "The Taste of Chicago" festival. Not advisable unless you're aiming for an hour tour around most of the major Chicago sites, museums and colleges. As a young adult I could feel my way around Chicago perfectly. This time, a lot of the buildings/businesses I'd used as landmarks 15 years ago were gone/change. In a huff, John took over the wheel and we navigated by compass bearings.
.

So he didn't believe me when I gave him directions to
the 49er drive in theater near Valparaiso, Indiana (even though I was right this time!). I really enjoy taking the children to laid back public places. Within 5 minutes of arriving in such a place, they've invariably found friends to play with, an alternate source of snacks (in case ours run out or often just for variety), and several amusements upon which to waste our money (like we EVER give in). We didn't bring enough blankets. It being July and Indiana, it didn't honestly occure to us that the temperature would drop significantly after dark. It did any way. The movie was forgetable, but we had a great time anyway.
.
.
Thursday, we took the girls and Uncle John to Six Flags Great America to give Emma & Kay their first taste of roller coasters. We started with a moderate one, which they loved. Emma warmed up to the more thrilling ones, but Kay never did. She really enjoyed the carnival type rides. Tara enjoyed going on the coasters with Uncle John to be silly with.
.
Emma and Kay are already talking about next year, but I think we might wait a further year. Amusement parks are so insanely expensive that my frugal Stoelting sensibilities can hardly stand it. It's difficult to satisfy everyone as a group of six, but given my children's absent-mindedness, there's NO WAY I can turn them loose in the park in pairs (like my parents used to do with us) until they are quite a bit older. What I do have to remember to budget for, is the line-bypass thingy. It is absurdly priced, but we broke down and got one after standing in our first line with Kay and her ADHD. Standing imobile in those cattle corrals is almost physically painful for her and Emma. Kay was near break-down after only 20 minutes. That pass really saved the day and allowed us to enjoy a LOT of rides.
.
to be continued...
Anna, thanks for commenting on my blog, and it is fun to see that you have one too! I'll add it to my list of "must reads"!!!
ReplyDeleteHope all is well with you and your family!!